Tuesday 13 May 2008

Kung minsan, di ko maiwasan MAINIS!

I am Filipino by heart, by blood, by upbringing, and ways. Although I am living and working in the United Kingdom, together with my family, I could not deny my roots, and I am not trying to, not even thought of it. But, often, when I watch broadcasts and news from the Philippines, I can not help myself from being annoyed of how economics is going on. Our economy has declined, and continues to do so. It's is so painful to think that as an OFW, part of our job is to send home money because we have got love ones. All we wanted is to share to them what we have. Yes, and we do this without grudge. We are not rich, or well off. We live just like any other people around. We pay tax, tax, tax, tax, and neverending tax, and if we don't go the extra mile of doubling our time for work, or getting another job, we end up with nothing left in our pockets but debts adding up in our credit cards. But as a natural Filipino, we are as hardworking and tough as ever. All we see is the monetary reward we could get during payday, so our kapatid, Nanay, Tatay, pamangkin, inaanak, lolo, lola, tita, tito, anak, bunso, kuya, ate, kapitbahay, boyfriend, or whoever we think is especial, can feel that indeed they are special to us through sending them some sort of allowance or gift. And the joy that it brings them is enough thank you, afterall, we do not ask for any return.

The main reason I am discussing this matter in my blog is to ask where does the money go after it leaves our love one's pockets? My family there usually spends it back to the Philippine markets, which means, that money goes back to the Philippine economic circulation. Imagine, how many overseas Filipino people send money home every month? How much money do they send in total each time? How much of this money is brought to the Philippine economic circulation? Why on earth can't I see any improvement to our economy?

I was just watching the crisis of rice going on a few weeks back, and our government there looked so stupid from watching them from here. They argue, they discuss, they try to formulate solution to the crisis, but at the end of it all, crisis remained the same. I feel so sorry for those people who needed to queue for a long time under the heat of the sun to get just a couple kilo of rice, and they have to do it over again the following day. I honestly say it is very stupid, ridiculous and revolting. Why on earth can't the government take over in distributing this staple in an easier way? Being the government, they should have authority and control, and of course the resources to make this process better and more convenient. I suppose, I will be routed back to the old and unchanging reason the government have "Walang Budget Para Dyan." Argument finished. So, you'd better shut up. Fine, whatever. But still there's this burning call from within me to call upon my co Filipino overseas worker to think about our contribution to our Philippine economy. We should come forward and be heard and influence the decisions our government makes. Afterall, we are the ones that bring greatest flow of money to them. And I believe, we all have the desire, that someday, we go home and retire there. Of course, of the years we live our life abroad, we get used to the ease of doing our daily chores, and when that time comes, we think it's nicer because in the Ph, we can get yaya, helper, or anybody... and we could live a quiet and peaceful life. But what about those people who have always been poor? You can not blame them, because of their status, they could not get education, and the reasons piles up like the gulong ng palad, paikot-ikot, minsan nas itaas, minsan nasa ilalim. But did you ever thought that that gulong (wheel) will someday gets pudpod (thin)? and becomes useless. Poor gulong, never experienced a better life. From the moment it decided to become the wheel, it carried a whole load all its life.

No comments: