Thursday 15 May 2008

Extra Large

You'd better believe me when I say this, because I would not exaggerate. I have today, I looked after a very huge middle aged man. Being a nurse, I have taken care of different shaped and sized people, but it was my first time to see a 34 year old man with a BMI (body mass index) of 59 which is around 200kg..... and it's not muscle, it's all FAT!!! I could not think of how he got into this size, he's only young 34. Well, at least, he is in the hospital to tackle this problem, he has had a gastric bypass. And whilst in the hospital, he brought with him his own chair, and his own commode, because, although he is mobile, he wouldn't fit into an ordinary chair, or even toilet seat therefore he has to have something made for him. And to get things exciting, he is married and have four children. And his wife????, a mere UK size 10. Just wondering, imagine them two in bed, can she still breathe? Anyway, I am just a nurse, my brains shouldn't go that far ahead. sssshhhhhhh. Mind you, no offense to anyone, I just could not believe that our body could stretch that big.

No comments: